Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail Details and Maps
Grade 2 (Easy)
Suitable for most riders including beginners, occasional cyclists and families with limited cycling experience. A multi-geared bike with medium to wide knobbly tyres is recommended, such as a comfort bike, touring bike or mountain bike. E-bikes are also suitable as long as they are ridden appropriately and have sufficient battery capacity.
Off-road trails are usually wide and smooth (firm gravel or sealed), with some gentle climbs. These trails are predictable, i.e. have no nasty surprises. On-road sections of Great Rides generally follow quiet roads with little traffic.
Grade 3 (Intermediate)
- Suitable for regular experienced cyclists with a good level of fitness and over 12 years old; children should be accompanied by an adult.
- A mountain bike is recommended for off-road sections. E-mountain bikes are suitable provided they are ridden appropriately, have sufficient battery capacity, and the rider is capable of completing the trail in the event of a battery/power failure.
- For on-road trails/sections on gravel roads, bikes with knobbly tyres are recommended. Road racing tyres are generally not suitable.
- Off-road trails can be narrow and may include hills, steep drop-offs and small river crossings. Trail surfaces are mainly firm but may include muddy or loose sections, and obstacles such as rocks or tree roots.
- On-road trails/sections may have moderate traffic levels (up to 1000 vehicles a day), and include hill climbs and gravel sections.
Choose a trail section to view from the map